Thursday, April 24, 2008

Massage Is A Must For The Stressed Out Bride!

If you are anything like me, when you are under a great deal of stress your body bears the brunt of your emotion. That is why it is a wonderful idea to get a massage a day or two before your wedding. Not only will massage help reduce your stress level, but can release painful muscle tension, improve circulation, increase joint flexibility, and reduce fatigue. In simple terms, a massage will make you feel awesome.

I am not a massage therapist, but I do receive regular massages from licensed massage therapists. If you have never received a massage before, you may have some questions and concerns. I remember I was very nervous before my first massage! To reduce your anxiety, I have written some answers to common questions you may have about getting a massage:


What type of massage should I get?

There are many types of massages, but if you have never had one before I suggest you start with the Swedish. This technique relaxes muscles (and you!) by applying pressure to them against deeper muscles and bones. Your masseuse will use long flowing strokes, semi-deep kneading, surface friction, and joint movement. During a Swedish massage your masseuse will use some type of oil or lotion to reduce the friction of his/her hands on your skin. Make sure you tell your masseuse if you are allergic to anything before they begin the massage, as the oils are sometimes scented. Also make sure you tell the masseuse if the pressure is too much or not enough so they can adjust accordingly.


What should I wear?

This was my biggest concern the first time I got a massage. You can show up for the massage wearing anything, but if you are getting a full body Swedish massage, those clothes will have to come off! The masseuse will have you go to a private dressing area or leave you alone in the massage room to disrobe. It is perfectly normal to take everything off!!! At the most, you should have your panties on—but even they can come off. Your bra will be a hindrance, as will your jewelry. Even though you may feel naked, you will be covered throughout the massage by light blankets—except for the area of your body being worked on. And, if you don’t want a certain part of your body worked on let the masseuse know. Keep in mind, this is your massage and the masseuse wants to make it as good for you as possible and tailored to your personal desires. Personally, I do not set any limits on where the masseuse can work. I have had masseuses’ work on my buttocks, but it has never been in a way that made me uncomfortable.


What should I do?

During the massage the most important thing for you to do is relax! If the masseuse wants to adjust your position or a body part he/she will either gently move you or tell you what to do. I prefer to close my eyes during the massage and meditate, but other clients prefer to talk. Your masseuse will follow your lead. If you don’t want to say word that’s fine! I usually don’t speak unless I have a question, like, “What was that muscle? It felt so good when you kneaded it!?” All the masseuses I have had love to answer questions.


How long and how much is a massage?

The most common length for a massage is an hour—that gives the masseuse time for a deeply relaxing, full body massage. If you just want a specific part of your body targeted—like your neck, a half hour is fine. Price will vary from location to location. Having had many massages throughout the country, I would say the average massage is about $60--$75 an hour, not including tip. If you are having a massage in your area, call your health insurance provider to see if they will cover part of it. Some progressive insurance agencies cover massage that is not medically necessary.

I hope I have answered some of your questions! Like I said, I am not an expert, but I have received many massages and have loved them all. If you are experiencing physical symptoms of stress as your wedding day approaches, definitely consider massage. Another great benefit of massage is that many people experience increased energy that lasts several days following the session. That extra energy will come in handy on your honeymoon!

No comments: