Thursday, April 24, 2008

Cry - and Kiss- Proofing Your Wedding Day Makeup

On a day where it’s absolutely essential you look your best, finding makeup that stays put is critical. You’ll be eating, repeatedly kissing your new husband, and possibly even crying tears of joy (potential "tear times" include the ceremony, the father/daughter dance, and the touching toasts). Amidst all this, you’ll need to look your best without running to the powder room every few minutes to insure that your lipstick hasn’t smudged or your mascara hasn’t streaked down your cheeks. And remember the photographer; he or she will be at your side practically every minute of the day. I guarantee you won’t want any makeup mishaps forever caught on film.

The most problematic makeup areas are the eyes and lips. Lipstick quickly disappears and eye makeup adheres only under the best of conditions. To remedy this problem, you’ll need to find makeup products that are advertised as "long wearing", "extended wear", "kiss-proof", or "waterproof". Most importantly, I urge you to test these products before the big day. The same product can produce different effects on another person. For example, one person might describe one brand of mascara to be perfect, while another thinks it’s too clumpy.

Personally, I’m a minimalist. If I can purchase one product that will do the job of five, I will. That’s where "makeup sealants" come in. Makeup sealants are clear lacquers that are used under or over makeup, depending on the sealant.

Quite by accident, I found the sealant I'll be using on the day of my wedding. I originally purchased the sealant because my eyeliner had a way of moving with the force of gravity, causing me to look like I had two black eyes (or whatever color eyeliner I happened to be wearing). The salesperson swore that the product would work to prevent the meltdown I was experiencing, so I tried it. I was surprised to find that when I used it, my makeup simply did not budge.

The sealant even held my eye makeup in place during a bout of crying at a sad movie!

The product I bought came with several makeup brushes, including a lip brush and a mascara wand. I knew it "froze" my eye makeup, so one night I experimented to see if it would seal my lipstick through dinner. I applied lipstick, blotted with a tissue, then painted the sealant on, followed by another coat of lipstick (to counteract the "tacky" feel). Lo and behold, the lipstick color was intact even after a particularly messy chicken dinner!

I’m proud to say I’m confident knowing which product will increase the staying power of my makeup on the day of my wedding. I urge you, too, to find the ultimate makeup for your wedding day by allowing yourself plenty of time for trial and error. Good luck!

No comments: